"When they [NASA] were soliciting applications for astronauts, they rejected people with pure histories of success and instead selected people who had had significant failures and bounced back from them" (Dweck 29).
Imagine that Poly has a selection philosophy similar to NASA's. You are applying to Poly as an incoming ninth grader and have been asked to write a short reflection of 250-300 words on a significant academic or school failure and how you bounced back. (Not your personal life.)
All throughout middle school I ignored the fact that I suck at math. Eventually 8th grade came, and I failed my first math test. It was a disaster, and I tried to hold back the disappointment I had in myself. I thought to myself all day long how much of a failure I am, and how my family would be disappointed in me.
I was incredibly upset for the next few days. I had really no idea of what to do. I complained and complained, but I still did nothing about it. I always just thought that if I did my homework my grade would pull itself up. I soon realized tests were weighed 80% and homework was only worth 20% of my entire grade. I knew I actually had to do something now.
So after that, I went to talk to my teacher about what I could do to improve my grade. Now, there wasn't any extra credit I could do, but I went to see her every day before school. It might not seem like it was that helpful, but it was probably the most helpful thing she could do. Slowly but surely my grade improved.
I saw my teacher throughout the entire year every morning before school started. I mean sure, it was kind of awful waking up early every morning, but it was all worth it in the end. At the beginning of the school year I had set some high expectations for myself. I didn't end with the grade I wanted, but I came much closer than I would have if I didn't see my teacher for help.
Now I know that when I need help with something, I should get help before the problem evolves into something bigger. If I need help now, I don't usually hesitate to ask teachers for help.

No comments:
Post a Comment